Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Slow Return to Normalcy


As we slowly move toward the end of August we enter that time on the island that most of the locals refer to as "my favorite time of year".
A new energy moves onto our sands as the students from UNCW return before the start of classes and suddenly the beach strand becomes even more vibrant as their presence takes the pace of WB up just a notch. Then you notice that with the students arriving, its like the changing of the guard, as the crowds start to thin a little, and the tourists numbers begin to dwindle. So, with this influx of new energy we start to also experience the calm of approaching Fall. The water is still warm, blue skies prevail, the air becomes a little crisper and WB really becomes magical.
Long walks become the norm as the beach starts to provide a little more solitude than that offered during the summer season. The water seems to become more colorful and reflects the incredible blue often seen in the North Carolina skies. Its just another reminder of how those of us who live at Wrightsville Beach, embrace it so warmly. Not a bad place to be a photographer as well. Its beauty offers many personal photo ops.
Its sometimes hard not to take my surroundings for granted as I go through the daily routines my life requires. That said, after a day of work, as I drive over the Causeway bridge, I am always refreshed and in awe of the beauty.
I like to often quote an old friend who once said " every time I drive over that bridge, it blows air up my skirt". Enough said.

No comments: